I was deliriously exhausted after a weekend-long illness and decided to make pineapple upside down cake. Because, of course.
Jared lent emotional support and read all the Czech labels for me. What a friend.
Here is the actual recipe because only part of the dribble I managed to scrape into a cake made it into the footage.
PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
2 tablespoons chopped pecans(optional)
1 1/2 cups biscuit baking mix
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a 9-inch baking pan in the preheating oven. Remove pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter.
- Arrange pineapple chunks in a single layer over the butter and brown sugar, then sprinkle with pecans; set aside.
- Beat biscuit baking mix, white sugar, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and egg together in a large bowl on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Increase mixer speed to medium and continue beating until batter is smooth, about 4 minutes more.
- Slowly pour batter over the pineapple mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Run a paring knife between the cake and the edge of the pan to loosen cake. Cover the cake pan with a plate, and invert it to flip the cake out of the pan and onto the plate. Cool at least 10 minutes before serving.